300 years jail for rapist murderer

By Mbulelo Sisulu

Serial rapist and murderer Malibongwe Ncokolo, 46, of Mdantsane, has been sentenced to seven life terms and 300-years imprisonment for two counts of murder, 18 counts of rape, attempted rape, four counts of assault, and two counts of theft. 

The sentence was handed down in the Bhisho High Court on Friday 6 November 2020 following his conviction three days earlier.

Ncokolo raped young females aged between 11 and 29 years in Mdantsane, Scenery Park and East London, using the same methods to pounce on his victims. He would lie in wait at secluded areas, grab and threaten with a knife, young females who were mostly walking alone. He assaulted seven of his victims and strangled eight. 

He killed two, Bongiwe Matoyo (25) and Lindi Malote (19), who both went missing in May 2017.

Judge Igna Stretch described Ncokolo, whose youngest victim was 11 years old at the time of the crime, as a repeated sex offender who can be categorised as a serial rapist. Ncokolo was a rape convict who had been released on parole in February 2014 when he commenced with his reign of terror.
Judge Stretch reiterated the utterances of the prosecutor, Advocate Deolin Willemse, that Ncokolo gradually moved from being a rapist to being a murderer. He evaded detection for three-years. “His offences were carefully planned and methodically executed,” she said.

Eastern Cape NPA regional spokesperson Anelisa Ngcakani said ten of his 18 victims were between the ages of 11 and 17-years. Therefore, Judge Stretch not only described him as a serial rapist but also as a paedophile.
Judge Stretch stated that courts were compelled to protect women by inflicting harsh sentences on perpetrators. 

She stated that as a result of the rapes the victims of Ncokolo suffered from low self-esteem and were anti-social. She said that many of them dropped out of school as they feared being stigmatised by teachers and classmates. She added that at least two of the complainants became alcoholics. 

The judge said Ncokolo showed no remorse and that he dragged the trial for six-months, knowing fully well that there was compelling forensic evidence against him.
The deputy director of public prosecutors, Advocate Chanzelle de Kock said Advocate Willemse and the investigating team had put in massive effort to bring the accused to justice and give closure to the victims. “They must be applauded for this,” said de Kock.

Share iNdaba Zabantu

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »